Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: DAILY PICTURES # 110, 4 by vitrsna

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright vitrsna

In reply to: DAILY PICTURES # 110

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of DAILY PICTURES # 110
vitrsna wrote:
A happy first for me this morning as i watched a Skipper emerge from its cocoon. Or is it chrysalis? I used to be very certain of the difference, then i read a little more and "know" a little less and become less certain. One thing i do know for certain is to be mindful of what/who the information is coming from...consider the source i remind myself several times every day. I am not certain if we are in the age of "information" or the age of "misinformation". I found this cocoon or chrysalis while in the process of cutting back some plants post rainy season. It was soft and green and capable of some limited movement. I kept an eye on it to make sure the ants were not bothering it with no idea of what might emerge.

The first photo is an image of the mature cocoon or chrysalis as the case may be. It turned from green to dark overnight. I am puzzled by the dark colored and green colored bands.

The second photo is of the newly emerged Skipper with the empty cocoon to its right. I did watch the little head with big eyes break through its protective covering and then made a dash for the camera. This was waiting for me when i returned.

In the 3rd photo the wings are unfurling.

in the 4th photo...there we go!

A brief run through the guide book suggests it may possibly be a Black-patched Skipperling (Dalla ligilla). I'll do a little more research to see if an ID is possible.