Photo by Melody

Indoor Gardening and Houseplants: Are "Houseplants" out of Style?????, 4 by hcmcdole

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright hcmcdole

In reply to: Are "Houseplants" out of Style?????

Forum: Indoor Gardening and Houseplants

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Are "Houseplants" out of Style?????
hcmcdole wrote:
Ah, rexes are troublesome for a lot of folks (including me) but you learn their faults and work through it. When the leaves start falling off then it is probably entering a state of semi-dormancy - cut back on watering but don't let it dry out either. Spray for mildew and/or remove the worst offending leaves so the mildew does not spread. Water well when it is actively growing.

Yes, Ken there is an Elk Horn fern in there somewhere. I have a handful of orchids but they are on the main floor except an old Cattleya and a Jewel Orchid. I also have five Tillandsia. No plans on a greenhouse on the horizon though. Earth Stars (Cryptanthus) on the other hand I have lots of (just 4 or 5 different plants though) because they multiply so quickly. Also a few C&S and getting a decent collection of Sansevieria. Philodendrons, Alocasia, Colocasia, Caladiums. etc.

Begonias are the mainstay though.

Some begonias before I moved them indoors. I've found that photographing plants indoors is very difficult due to light and tight spaces unless you have a small camera (which I use for tight spots) because I don't like to take anything off the shelf until spring - too much work!

First photo is of 3 Selph's Mahogany in front of an 18 inch pot of Immense, two Kong Coleus, and Caribbean King. Second photo has two Begonia 'Big' with big red blooms, and Maggie Nodal (dark green palmate leaves). Third photo is of mixed canes that I broke off and stuck in this big pot - the big leaf begonia is supposedly parviflora which at the Atlanta Botanical Garden is about 18 feet tall and in bloom. Fourth photo shows Caribbean King on the back side of the first photo with Immense. Last photo is Sophie Cecile - a gorgeous cane begonia.