Tropicals & Tender Perennials: ID and an issue, 3 by hcmcdole

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright hcmcdole

In reply to: ID and an issue

Forum: Tropicals & Tender Perennials

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of ID and an issue
hcmcdole wrote:
Yep, I bought mosquito wipes for everyone and we never had to use them the entire time we were at the botanical garden. I noticed a lot of ferns popping up in the newest lava which I thought it would've been shrubs and trees. Green Sand Beach is off the beaten track - rent a ride from one of the locals to take you and back to the parking lot - $15 a person, and endure the very bumpy 2 to 3 mile ride and dust in your hair, skin, and teeth. When you get to the cliffs and peer over you wonder how in the heck does anyone get down there but once you see the path and steel your nerves, it isn't all that bad. The view is worth it more than the "green" sand - not all that green. The surf is strong and knocked me over and drug me back out but then you catch on how strong it can be and go with the flow. Getting to the southernmost point of the USA takes you from lush tropical growth in the highlands, across volcano fields, and wind down to grassland (very hot and dry here), past some windmills and trees that look like divi-divi trees in Aruba.

Cindy, I might have to try a couple of cyclamen again if I have room to squeeze them in...

Here are a few photos of the Green Sand Beach.