Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - September 2014, 1 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - September 2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - September 2014
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone - Only a quick visit this morning as my "two helpers" arrive in 15 minutes time and then I'll have to "down tools" and spend some time with them.

I went to take an up to date picture of my Neo.’Blackout’ x ‘Mister Odean’ yesterday and the camera wouldn't turn on. I thought it had died and as I'm not familiar with electronic stuff I never thought it could be the battery as the warning usually comes on when I'm taking pic's. However before I took it to the Camera Doctor I thought I'd charge the battery just to see if that was the problem and guess what? Problem solved, and it's now working again. Somehow the switch must have been bumped and turned on and left on and the battery went flat, so that's a load off my mind.

Trish - I understand just how much time it takes out of your brom work when you have visitors as even when our family is here from Bali for a couple of weeks each year I never seem to get anything done.

Anyway it’s good to hear you found time for a bit of therapy and were able to pot-on some of your seedlings. It’s amazing how much quicker they grow when you continually pot them on as they grow. I go the other way and don’t pot them on when they need it as I have to buy some time to catch up with my other re-potting.

Many happy returns for Sunday, 45th hey? You only have thirty more to got to catch me. Gee how I wish I’d started growing these wonderful plants when I was your age, who knows what I would have in my collection now.

I was quite pleased with my win with ‘Dunmore Ruby’ as it’s so much better when it’s a plant you’ve bred yourself. I’ve shown it twice now; different judges and different opposition and two 1st prizes both times so it seems to have proved itself. I think it must be the colour and the natural shine that gets the judges in.

That article about mozzies was the one Rob wrote for the FCBS and he just told me where it was and I was able to down load it again, and would you believe the day after I down loaded it, I found the other copy I had previously saved.

Anyway, I finally took the picture I wanted to take of the Neo.’Blackout’ x ‘Mister Odean’ (Pic.1) and hopefully D.G. will let me post that and some others from the show to finish off with. Pic.2 is Ae 'Aztec Gold', Pic.3 is Neo. 'Manoa Beauty', Pic.4 Neo.'Jewellery Shop and I can't help finishing off with Jack Koning's latest new Vriesea, Vr. hieroglyphica x 'Simpson Desert'

All the best, Nev.