Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - September 2014, 1 by 77sunset

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 77sunset

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - September 2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - September 2014
77sunset wrote:
Hello Nev and Teresa, oops, Shirley too.
I am having a rest from moving plants to the new place.
I think I am just about ready to say, thats it, cant fit any more in the space....lol

the plants I have moved, seem to be loving it. They mostly get the morning sun, but the broms and hippies and brugs are out the back with afternoon sun. They are under the wide eave/ veranda at the moment, but before summer, I will have some shadecloth up as a shelter.

I am sure the broms are showing more color in the short time they have been there. I do have a couple at the front in the morning sun. I had to take my neo Exotica Velvet as it has beautiful color which hardly faded all winter.
I have tried to get a mix of color and spots with a couple of stripes in there too.
I decided that the vrieseas would not like the cold winters so hopefuly they will sell in the garage sale.
Because Coleraine is down in a valley, it gets a lot colder with more frost than here.
Seeing as they have lived all the time in the greenhouse, I just couldnt put them out in the open .

I may still sneak just one or two that will fit at the front where there is a little more shelter from the cold.
I have done something I could never do here as there was no place for them. I have a couple of phalaenopsis orchids which are doing beautifully on the top of the book shelves in the unit. They seem to love the diffused light and regular temps.
I always wanted some but sadly they always died here so I gave up. Now I have 3 in bud.

My broms have pups all over the place and one of the vrieseas has its flower spike about 9"high . It has grown through winter. Little odd darling.

Anyway, back to the moving.
I hope all those that are not well soon reappear on here. I will try to get on more often as I slowly get settled.

pic is my lovely neo Exotica Velvet.
Enjoy your day.
Jean.