Photo by Melody

Perennials: What are your THREE most favorite Perennials?, 2 by DonnaMack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: What are your THREE most favorite Perennials?

Forum: Perennials

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of What are your THREE most favorite Perennials?
DonnaMack wrote:
For those of you who have sworn off roses, may I just mention:

Marie Pavie. A polyantha. It was originally recommended by Joel at Pickering Nursery. It blooms all season in clusters (it's described correctly as continuous), doesn't get disease, is only slightly thorny and has a fabulous scent (I have two and purchased two for a rose averse client, who loves it ). I hate roses that are supposed to rebloom and don't. This is taken in September! I have two right out front because it always looks great! I had two at my former home and planted two at my new one.

Gruss an Aachen. Betwixt and between. It's labeled a floribunda because of when it came along but it acts like an old garden rose. It is in almost continual bloom and varies somewhat in color (half the fun). Compact, making it easy to place, doesn't get disease and is only mildly thorney. This was taken a couple of days ago.

Morden Blush and Sea Foam have these same great qualities. I think people are growing the wrong roses. I hate hybrid teas. I hate grandifloras. Floribundas don't make it through the winter. David Austin exaggerates the qualities of this roses. I have several, but they were thoroughly researched. No impulse buying at garden centers. It's a sure way to buy the wrong rose for your needs. And wow, are they expensive! Most of my roses are between $16.50 (Pickering standard price) and $18.00 each (the maximum price at Roses Unlimited).

What do I do for them? All Season oil at the beginning of the season, at which time I put down organic and time release fertilizer. A spray of sulphur when conditions are ripe for blackspot. I have no disease. They bloom mostly in sprays, so deadheading them is easy. And I have roses blooming non-stop from April into late November.

The third pic shows Marie Pavie, a polyantha, in my front bed three days ago. If you look closely, you can see that there are dozens of buds. No supplemental water, no spraying.