Lilies: 2014 lilies, 1 by DonnaMack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: 2014 lilies

Forum: Lilies

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of 2014 lilies
DonnaMack wrote:
Oh yes, let us sing the praises of double feverfew!

Once I realized that feverfew not only overwinters beautifully here (remaining plants appear, in the spring, to be dead, but they are not) I started picking up little clumps of it and spreading it everywhere. The great thing about it is that if it gets too carried away you can cut it well back or tear it out.

The first picture is my driveway bed in April, with the surprise lily doing their early season sprout and the bulbs that come over from my neighbors yard - his only positive contribution! And digitalis Husker Red, that does really well here. It tended to die out in Lake County.

Last fall I moved a tiny clump to my front bed where I have lots of roses and lilies. I didn't expect it to live but it ended up mingling agreeably, in June, with salvia tesquicola and allium christophii.

In the third picture it is becoming a little more exuberant in my front bed.

The fourth picture is the driveway bed again. It's been seeding to the base of my raspberry beds, and what a pretty picture it makes. The other green plant is parsley.

When it gets carried away (it can become quite tall) I just cut it back or pull it out. All from a plant I started from seeds from Select Seeds a billion years ago. I have pics from 2006 showing mature plants!

Solomon seal is a new acquisition - the variegatum odoratum selection.