Perennials: 2014: More Blues in the Garden, 2 by Pfg

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pfg

In reply to: 2014: More Blues in the Garden

Forum: Perennials

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of 2014: More Blues in the Garden
Pfg wrote:
My Blue Garden was started to make room for Platycodons, which actually turn out to be purple. Amazing how often that's true of plants described as blue. So I thought OK, I'll have both colors. Last year I got a few Delphiniums, the smaller types that may be more long lived that the huge spikes. The only one that came back was D elatum Dasante Blue, which has a lot of purple in it. Another blue/ purple is Baptisia, blooming for the first time in my garden. I do love it though, can't wait for it to fill out on both sides of the arch.

This year I started the season with a bunch of starter Delphinium plants from Graceful Gardens. So far, they have done very little. Then I went to the big sale at White Flower Farm, and there were a bunch more of their special blues. Unfortunately, they were done blooming in a heartbeat, so now I'm back to square 1.

I do have some blue Centaurea I could move there in the fall, I'm thinking right by the arch behind and to one side of the Baptisia. Maybe they would flower through it a little if I place them well.

Once the Platycodons, Veronicas and edging plants get going there will be more color. And once the main plantings are established, it will be easy to add 'pops' here and there. But right now, there is a huuuuge lull.