Photo by Melody

Ask-a-Dave's-Gardener: WHEN TO DIVIDE ANNABELLE HYDRANGEA?, 2 by hcmcdole

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright hcmcdole

In reply to: WHEN TO DIVIDE ANNABELLE HYDRANGEA?

Forum: Ask-a-Dave's-Gardener

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of WHEN TO DIVIDE ANNABELLE HYDRANGEA?
hcmcdole wrote:
That storm broke the top out of a very tall maple and it landed hanging upside down smashing some azaleas and begonias but not breaking them. The hydrangea was not affected by the maple top but the wind and hard rain broke a branch or two and the blooms were so heavy with water that they were all drooping.

The pot has a begonia in it and I have a tray there as well with the very big Jiffy peat pellets. I am propagating some begonias and a rhododendron there (at least I am trying to propagate a rhody there). I used it last year for weigela and they were potted up earlier this year.

The fence is 4 foot wide by 3 foot high and is easily assembled (bought at HD) and is meant to keep our dogs out but our youngest can easily jump it but he also knows if he is caught behind the "fence of death", he will be in deep trouble. We do have quite a bit of shade and some sunny areas - the sunny areas are more open for the dogs to run. Since I have hydrangeas running from the front of the backyard to the back of the backyard (no hydrangeas in the front yard or side yards yet), then some will have more sun than others and companion plants run the gamut. Lilies, arborvitaes, peonies, flowering quinces, mountain laurels, ornamental cherry trees are a few plants in one bed with two hydrangeas and is in full sun (Phantom, Ruby Slippers). The next area is much shadier and I have a few Japanese maples, native azaleas, hostas, and ferns plus a few other perennials. Little Honey, Venice, two Lowe's hydrangeas are among the hostas, Penny Mac, Miranda (variegated climbing hydrangea) are next to a star magnolia. Lemon Daddy is behind the star magnolia and doesn't get as much sun as I would like. A big beech provides quite a bit of shade. I just got an Abracadabra that may go in this same area.

The bed with that particular Annabelle has azaleas, toad lilies, and hostas plus a few begonia pots. That area has tall poplars, a mature dogwood, and a muscle wood tree as well. The tall maple needs to go though. It has a green climbing hydrangea and Madame Mouillere there as well.

Another bed is filled with lilies, hostas, a couple of rhododendrons, wild ginger, daffodils, spirea, and many hydrangeas (Alice, Ellen Huff, Blushing Bride, Doublicious, Shooting Stars, Bombshell, Harmony, Ruby Slippers, Wedding Cake, Twist 'N' Shout, Little Lamb, Limelight, Mars, Ruby Slippers, Scarlett, Blue Bunny, and a few I don't remember).

My last area is a very large area that is mainly for summer growing of begonias (hundreds of them), but shares the upper region with many hydrangeas, hostas, coral bells, strawberry begonia, weigela, Abelia, mock orange, and maybe a couple other hardies. The hydrangeas on this side are Snow Queen, Snowflake (the only double bloomed oak leaf), Hanabi, Lilacina, Endless Summer (not impressed so far), Invincible Spirit (not impressed thus far), Sister Theresa, Incrediball (another dud so far), Wedding Gown, Wedding Ring, Stargazer, two Limelight, two Vanilla Strawberry (no pink yet), Pinky Winky, another Annabelle. I have a raised bed with two variegated willows, canna lilies, Vinca minor, and two hydrangeas. Finally I have a big old P.G. in the area where the dogs are allowed to run.

Here are a few pics from last year since the winter kill this winter means less blooms this year.

Penny Mac, Blushing Bride, Wedding Gown, Wedding Ring, and Shooting Star (Hanabi)