Photo by Melody

Mid-South Gardening: It is June let's see the daylilies and everything else !, 3 by marsue

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright marsue

In reply to: It is June let's see the daylilies and everything else !

Forum: Mid-South Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of It is June let's see the daylilies and everything else !
marsue wrote:
We were looking at our veggie garden yesterday. There are about a dozen tomatoes so far on four plants that are really coming along and will hopefully start turning red soon. They are the "Rutgers" variety. We bought them at Baker Creek Seed place up near Mansfield, MO back in April. The man who sold us the plants said it was a good variety and non-GMO so it will be interesting to see what they taste like. So far no tomato worms in our garden but something is eating our squash. GRRRRR. Two of the plants have been eaten off right through the stem at the ground. Then something is eating the blossoms. We had six big summer squash plants and the four that are left are looking good. I just hope whatever it is that is eating them doesn't ruin all of them.

Al picked enough green beans yesterday for me to freeze two gallon-size freezer bags of beans. We have four bell pepper plants that are doing well and each of them has several peppers on them. They aren't ready to pick yet but will be soon.

I have 4 Jerusalem artichoke plants that a guy from our local garden club gave me. I really don't know what to do with them as I have never had them before. Somebody on another forum told me to cook them like potatoes. I will have to google it and get some recipes.

We have one winter squash plant that lived although I planted four of them. It is a white squash and I am eager to see what happens with it.

That's about all we have in our veggie garden. We will probably enlarge it next year if things do well this year.

Here are some photos of the flower garden:
The first shows the Rubinstern coneflowers that Elaine gave me a start of back in Sept. 2012.
The second one is a close-up of one coneflower.
The third photo shows a bloom on the Jacob Cline monarda that Kathy Ann gave me.
The fourth is a salvia of some kind--I bought this plant but can't remember the name of it right now.
The fifth is milkweed with Fairy Tale veronica in the middle of it (the spikey whitish-looking bloom)