Northeast Gardening: Summer Blooms 2014, 4 by Pfg

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pfg

Subject: Summer Blooms 2014

Forum: Northeast Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Summer Blooms 2014
Pfg wrote:
All of a sudden, it's summer in my garden. The peonies are the big stars right now, but lots more is happening or about to happen, so I thought it would be nice to have a new thread.

For the last couple of years, I've been trying to extend an established line of peonies. There were 5 clumps in a row- 2 pink Duchess D'Orleans, 2 white Duchesse de Nemours, and one pale pink Candy Heart. I took out one of the whites last year and replaced it with Coral Charm, which is taking its time getting settled. Past the box shrub, I added D de Nemours, 2 Karl Rosenfeld, 2 Festiva Maxima (all moved from other places on the property where they were crowded or shaded out), and at the end 1 Topeka Garnet and 1 Red Charm (both new in fall 2012). This is the first year I'm seeing what I was after. Red Charm has come and gone already (pic 1), but with a couple of exceptions, the rest are finally falling into line (heh heh), pic 2. Pic 3 is the new section, with Salvias Caradonna and Blue Hill, and Siberian Iris behind. Pic 4 is FM and Topeka Garnet- good thing it's at the far end, or it would be blinding!

Another nice surprise is the Martagons. Three or four years ago I planted what was supposed to be 3 white. Last year 1 bloomed, this year #2 joined in - oops, not white, but lovely anyway.