Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #18, 2 by Amargia

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Amargia

In reply to: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #18

Forum: Accessible Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #18
Amargia wrote:
(Jim) You’re not butting in, Jnette. We are happy to have you on the forum.

Nadine tried using my manual wheelchair when her ankle was hurt and quickly discovered moving around in a w/c isn’t as easy as it appears. My mobility problem is a back injury complicated by arthritis. I leave the foot rest off the manual chair and “walk” while sitting in it when I’m just moving around the house. The arthritis has crept up to the vertebrae between my shoulders. I understand what you mean. I use a Quantum power chair for shopping and outings or, better yet, talk Nadine into doing my shopping.

MK has issues with straight lines also, My Old Soldiers Garden calls for straight lines, but I doubt she will let it go further than that. Straight lines are recommended for visually impaired gardeners, but MK thumbs her nose at that “rule”. Accessibility aside, I think the OSG looks better against the straight lines of a building than it did with a meadow as backdrop. A garden of straight lines seriously looked out of place with untamed land in the background.

I had a rare, highly productive day yesterday. Weeded the entire length of the rose border in the OSG. I think I will under plant the roses with parsley. I read somewhere that will boost the aroma of roses. It will look good even if that is an old wives’ tale.

Photos: 1) Parrot gladiola 2) Something from a wildflower mix. Not identified yet. 3) Daylily 4) Crinum lily 5) Daylily