Bulbs: This year's Allium plants, 2 by cathy166

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright cathy166

Subject: This year's Allium plants

Forum: Bulbs

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of This year's Allium plants
cathy166 wrote:
I love growing alliums. You put them in the ground at the appropriate depth in the fall, and nothing seems to bother them. The larger the plant, the earlier they want to start producing foliage. So reliably for most of them. Yet I never had good luck with some of the not-so-ordinary bulbs.

Thanks to Donna Mack, I had the courage to again try A. Schubertii. Star of Persia is one of Donna's that captured my heart from the moment I saw her photo. I ordered from Colorblends, got more than I remembered ordering in the the fall. Then I got short on time and it got really cold, and I forgot about them. Until today.

It is like Christmas or being a new parent. This spring the weather got really hot and then really cool. And I never even noticed them until today

The first is Schubertii, and the second and third (I think) are Star of Persia. Fourth are the giants which accent the garden. The fifth (white) is a nigrum. Here's hoping we have the same good luck with the blue ones. It's been a lacklustre spring for many of the plants and tons of surprises for others.
Marcia