Photo by Melody

Peonies: My peonies are breaking dormancy!, 4 by Pfg

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pfg

In reply to: My peonies are breaking dormancy!

Forum: Peonies

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of My peonies are breaking dormancy!
Pfg wrote:
Your trees are gorgeous! Soooo jealous... On LI I used to have a couple of maples, a dwarf weeper and a Coral Bark, lots of Viburnums, some Cornus, etc. And no work at all, the east coast soil is plenty acid. But here I've been so busy with the borders, and there are so many mature trees and shrubs, I haven't even tried up to now except for a couple of compact and semi- compact bushes.

Also, I've sworn off more lilies. I love them, but the red lily beetle is a real problem here. I'm willing to spray what I have to protect them, but no more. I really want low maintenance as much as possible.

Cheap blues, hmmmm... In my Blue Garden, I started with blue pots, lol, then started adding. Now I've got a bunch of Campanulas, blue pyramidalis and Blue Clips, and some Linum Saphyr Blue growing on the windowsill now. The Photinia never germinated, but I have tons of Nigella and Nemophila seeds to direct sow soon. There's an annual Dracocephalum, have the seeds but haven't tried it yet, and don't know yet if the perennial ones I bought last year will return. I've also ordered some of the Delphinium Belladonna series from Graceful Gardens, not sure how they'll do long term. If they like it, supposedly they self sow abundantly. And like you, I have Nepeta all over the place.

Then there are the Veronicas, but not necessarily cheap to buy, I've had no luck with seeds from trades, and they take a while to multiply.