Photo by Melody

Peonies: My peonies are breaking dormancy!, 2 by DonnaMack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: My peonies are breaking dormancy!

Forum: Peonies

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of My peonies are breaking dormancy!
DonnaMack wrote:
In terms of planting peonies I always tried to get as many as possible into a space. I read that they should be four feet apart. I started with three, so I took a ruler and put the centers 36 inches apart in a triangle. You can get more into a given space that way. Then I purchased three more, and connected them to the first triangle, making a second one. I did the same thing with the next three. My peony bed was on a easement, and unlike my seeded lawn it was sod (they insisted). So I simply took a sharp shovel and made circles, and lifted the circles up. As I got more peonies I protected them with the granite rocks. Here is the formation. (pic 1)

In 2010 they appeared to be fairly far apart. (pic 2.) This is 8 days after pic. 1 After a bit they will almost touch - ALMOST!! Which is what you want.

The next pic is in 2009. The mistake I did make was growing white and pale pink peonies together. In our hot sun, they all bleach to white.

So I installed Lady Alexandra Duff. Well, actually, it was the third incorrect peony White Flower Farm sent me. But I fell in love. You will see allium christophii, which seeded itself delightfully all over my yard. And the itty bitty one is allium oreophyllum. HIGHLY recommended.