Greenhouse: 6-week update on my experimental insulation project, 3 by drdawg43

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright drdawg43

In reply to: 6-week update on my experimental insulation project

Forum: Greenhouse

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of 6-week update on my experimental insulation project
drdawg43 wrote:
I used one piece of solar panel to cover both the top and two sides, leaving me only the door-way and then the other end to apply. The single long piece simply was draped over the roof and then hands down the sides. I used 16 mil solar blanket material. I strung light gage aluminum wiring every 2-3', crossing over the roof and down and sides and then strung the same wiring around the two sides and the (non-door) end. I also screwed the end pieces into place. Since I used the heavier mil blanket material, it is plenty thick to hold with the screws, but the wiring just adds retention when the wind blows. The material is so heavy, that the long run (roof and two sides) won't move with the wires holding it down.

I may just remove that long run of material, since all I have to do is remove the wire to do so. I will leave the two ends as is.

I show the GH with shade cloth (before I covered the GH's with solar blanket material) just to show how the vent elevates that cloth when open. It does the same thing with the solar blanket material, so there is no need to cut out for the vents. The final photo shows the wire placements, drawn in for detail. I have two greenhouses covered in this way. The flap you see covers the door and is facing north. This just adds another layer (and is wired down) when there is a wind coming out of the north. Otherwise it is rolled up and secured with Velcro.

Ken