Pacific Northwest Gardening: Hit and Run Vent! GRR, 3 by LakeLivingRos

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright LakeLivingRos

In reply to: Hit and Run Vent! GRR

Forum: Pacific Northwest Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Hit and Run Vent!  GRR
LakeLivingRos wrote:
Again, thanks for all the suggestions and advice! I still have not made up my mind yet.. I like the idea of clemantis, I also like the idea of the coppertina or ninebark with the color, and viburnum has been a plant that I have always wanted (although so so many choices)!

I think my choice will depend on whether the lilac comes back or not, the leader was still sort of attached, although severely broken, so for the moment I sort of pushed it up and taped it (I know ghetto!) and I just shoved some of the branches of the yew into the ground as sort of a joke but the branches have not turned brown yet after two months? The heather that was on the ground, didn't seem to mind the car going right over it.. and it still is in bloom, I almost wonder if it became more vigorous from being driven over.. seriously looks more healthy than it ever has?

My picked out a new mailbox post ($100 post on sale for $18!!) and my neighbor cemented it in and did a custom job where he cut the top to fit the mailboxes. I then added rocks around the mail box area for the time being.

I noticed a few days ago that my sedum is sprouting!! I honestly am SHOCKED at this one because the whole plant seemed ripped from the ground with nothing in sight? Attached is a close up photo of the sedum!

I also got a few more planters and put my new arbutus unedo trees in them.

RickCorey, man and I thought I had it bad.. that must have been SO frustrating! Mailboxes are not cheap.. I am glad the city let you put up rocks around protecting them, one of my friends did something similar and the city told her she had to remove them because it blocked the right of way.. which reminds me of the 188th st. exit going south on i5, I took a photo of it from google maps. The offramp has this curve at the end of a straight, but the road you take a right onto curves, so at night it looks like you are supposed to keep going straight.. I swear every other time I use that off ramp the reflectors are run over and chunks are taken out of the grass. There is "perma removed" wheel sized chunks missing from the cement barrier from so many people driving off the road!

Anyways, I got a few coupons from the northwest flower and garden show so I am certainly going to use them for plants in my mailbox area!