Photo by Melody

Lilies: I'm a newbie & I need help with Asiatic and Oriental Lilies!, 1 by Pfg

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pfg

In reply to: I'm a newbie & I need help with Asiatic and Oriental Lilies!

Forum: Lilies

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of I'm a newbie & I need help with Asiatic and Oriental Lilies!
Pfg wrote:
I'm chiming in to agree about Spinosad. I use Captain Jack's. 3 years ago I had a lovely stand of tiger lilies eaten to the ground for the first time. Once those little Red Devils found me, that was it, Captain Jack to the rescue. I think Cathy in Stamford has the right idea, and I'll follow her advice this year. But up to now I've had them under control by spraying every few days as soon as I see damage. That has protected my blooms and kept foliage damage to a minimum.

As for Platycodons: I have a purchased Hakone White (double) that has been indestructible, and a slew of others from seed. My pro friend says the Perlmutterschale (light pink) are the weakest, but mine are good so far. I also have acidic New England soil, and they are fine. I've read that they are heavy feeders, so on larger plantings I've been sprinkling dried manure granules. Once and a while I sprinkle wood ash on those, the roses and clematis. But the white one has gotten nothing extra, and I've been far from consistent. They don't seem all that fussy to me.

They do emerge and bloom later in the season, maybe the shorter season is the problem in Alaska.