Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Unique trees; If I Only Had The Room, 2 by Weerobin

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Weerobin

In reply to: Unique trees; If I Only Had The Room

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Unique trees; If I Only Had The Room
Weerobin wrote:
If you're looking for odd trees, I've got bunches of them in various states of immaturity. Unclear yet if any will turn out to have any ornamental appeal, but I enjoy them for their peculiarity. It's a 20+ yr experiment still underway. I lost some of them recently from weather but many are still standing. Among them are an emmenopterys henryi which is about 15yrs old and15ft tall now, hasn't bloomed yet, famously slow to bloom; I suspect I'll be dead by then, but stay posted, because once I have a bloom to show off, I'll surely be posting it (or my obit, depending on which occurs first). I have a euscaphis japonica which flowers and fruits anemically, but has beautiful lustrous foliage. Euptelia polyandra flowers pitifully also, but is 10ft tall and looks pretty robust. I lost my 20ft idesia polycarpa due to storm damage last month, but I have a 10ft back-up unharmed. Neither has ever fruited, though I thought the fruit display was supposed to be good; maybe I had two boys, not sure if need boy/girl pollination or not. Others include sinojackia rehderiana & xylocarpa, both of which flower profusely, a huge (?30ft tall) Neanderthal-looking cunninghamia lanceolata (which is the only one of this odd collection to ever elicit a favorable comment from my wife), pseudocydonia sinensis (with fabulous bark), sycoparrotia semidecidua (which grows too exuberantly and whose only useful attribute is the peculiarity of it's floral display), pistachia chinense (nice fall berries and fall color), acer maximowiczii (also beautiful fall color), acer pilosum var stenolobum, firmiana simplex, lots of others. I probably hold the record for the smallest 15yr old specimen of elliottia racemosa; it's getting smaller by the year, though astonishingly it flowered once. I keep trying to get franklinia to survive, but alas no luck. As for the question whether there's room for them all? Never gave it a thought. I plant them all on top of each other and let them duke it out. Everything's squeezed onto a (fairly big) suburban lot. It's pretty hilarious. You'll never see pictures of my yard in a glossy garden magazine, but if you like interesting plants, a stroll through my yard can be quite entertaining.
Here are a few pix of those with any redeeming photographic value. Most didn't make the cut.
#1 acer maximowiczii #2 aesculus x carnea Ft McNair #3 pistachia chinense #4 styrax confusus (don't you just love the jester's cap flowers!) #5 pseudocydonia sinensis.
And no spell-checking allowed...