Photo by Melody

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: planting shrubs close to a chainlink fence, 2 by Muddy1

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Muddy1

In reply to: planting shrubs close to a chainlink fence

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of planting shrubs close to a chainlink fence
Muddy1 wrote:
Planting thorny shrubs around trees likely to be attacked by deer might help, although the trees would of course need other protection while the shrubs grew.

There are about 5 Poncirus trifoliata shrubs (see pics) growing in woods near me that I plan to cut down because they're obnoxious non-native invasives. I'm thinking about dragging them to an area in which I'm tending native seedlings and placing them around the seedlings to keep deer away. It would kill 2 birds with one stone, because I'm not sure how else I could dispose of them.

Weerobin, this might not work for you, but I've noticed that deer avoid plants growing in the woods when they have minty-smelling plants growing around them. Mint does not deter deer in my yard - they ate roses and tomatoes growing right next to mint - but they seem to steer clear of it in the woods (strong scents = "confused nose" = reduced ability to smell predators). I'm going to plant lots of native mint family plants in the woods to see if they deter deer.