Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - November 2013, 4 by ianperry

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ianperry

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - November 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - November 2013
ianperry wrote:
Hi all, another fine day and back to work again, what there is of it. We hope to get some more in in a couple of weeks. It will be our regular maintenance work on the Sugar Locos. Build up and machining of wheels. I know that I have fallen into a negative attitude lately and need to do something about it. Maybe I ought to seek the roses and smell them instead of the carrion flowers. I did nothing with my broms today.
Tash my favourite of your pics today would have to be Neo On Target. I think it is one I posted here some time ago as a NOID and it now appears that it could be what I have just hanging around in midday and afternoon sun and not looked after very well. I don't know where I got it from and it has not pupped in 2 years. Nor has it flowered. Maybe with a bit of tlc it will do better. Land is cheaper up North than around here, but this is a mining town and area.
Nev Neo Blackout has concentrica in its breeding and has those stripes in the outer leaves. I have no idea of where it came from but it is popular up here. Black Onyx is a different plant altogether having full black colouring on its outer leaves. I have both of these plants and both are getting reasonable sun. As for my hybridising I will just have to become a week-end warrior and hope for the best. I will have many opportunities when I retire from full working hours.
Shirley, I just like to show off occasionally. Actually I took some seeds from this plant and must have spilled some in the centre and they have grown. I think that I will leave them where they are out of interest and a talking point at one of our brom meetings. Most of my seedlings are raised similar to how Nev raises his and need a lot of care just like babies.
Trish it is funny how one forgets the name of a plant here and there and when looking at the name tag one wonders how they could forget that one, especially when one has lots of plants to remember Some of the growers here keep their plants alphabetically, but that is more for sales access and locating a particular plant. Mine are random and very mixed with Neos beside Vresias and next to Aechmeas and Nidulariums with a few others scattered around. Some are in the right light position and others are not. This is something that I have to work with. Nice pics.
Well it is time for bed .
Have a good one
Ian
Pic 1 Ae Aztec Gold
Pic 2 Ae Fred
Pic 3 Ae leuddemannia
Pic 4 Ae J C Superstar
Pic 5 Ae Smithorium