Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #17, 1 by Amargia

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Amargia

In reply to: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #17

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #17
Amargia wrote:
How are things going with the new knee, Sheri?
I've seen the light orange pansies, but these were the first deep orange ones I have ever encountered. The yellow and purple ones “with the little faces” are what come to mind when I think of pansies also.
Our package from Wawa's Garden in TX came in today. In addition to Jim's new maple, Nadine got a large, end-of-season Stevia. My luck at growing stevia from seed has been lousy, but an established plant should be easy. Nadi wants to keep it as a houseplant. Has anyone here tried that? There was a free gift of fragrant ash seeds included in the package. :-) Yep, there is a definite advantage to doing business with nursery folk who have an idea of your personal botanical interest.
I'm beginning to wonder if the Puritans may have been misled in a way similar to some Okies in the 1940's. In the dustbowl days, when a banker foreclosed on a farm or a grocer denied someone credit, they would hand the newly homeless or unemployed man a brochure touting the wonders of Ca, the jobs available and the new, easy life to be had there. I don't know if the bankers and creditors who handed those brochures out believed the hype or not, but I’m sure ridding themselves of the troublesome poor people prompted them to hand out the leaflets. Anyone who has read Grapes of Wrath has an idea of how well that trip worked out. The coldness and length of Massachusetts winters must not have been mentioned in the promotional material the Puritans were given. lol. No cranberry sauce! But, they did something with all those cranberries growing there, right? I'm really looking forward to reading this article. (MK)
(Jim) here are the first photos with my new windows 8 tablet went from a 3 mega pix to 8 mega pix I like it! Still trying to ID the bloom. lol.