Northeast Gardening: Plant ID please, 3 by ViburnumValley

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ViburnumValley

In reply to: Plant ID please

Forum: Northeast Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Plant ID please
ViburnumValley wrote:
Ilex pedunculosa is a very nice large shrubby broadleaf evergreen holly, and I think the long-stalked fruit are spectacular. It is not a plant that I've had particular success with, but I keep trying. Each HSA meeting, I buy another one at the plant auction. I've managed to overwinter this last one, and I may even get to transplant it to a permanent location. It was introduced to the United States in 1892 - probably through the Arnold Arboretum - from Japan, Korea, and China. It is not native in the least.

Since Ilex opaca is native in Massachusetts, I'd use that plant (and maybe Hemlock and/or Taxus) as your shady site windbreak - so that you have a better shot at establishing other selections by protecting them from the winds you mention. American Holly does perfectly fine in shade - albeit more lightly branched than in full sun - and grows at a reasonable enough clip that it wouldn't be decades before it was useful.

There is a gentleman named Bill Cannon who lives on Cape Cod between Barnstable and Brewster, and he grows so many different hollies that it isn't even funny. He probably has slightly balmier temps than you, but probably a lot more winds.

Here are some images of Longstalk Holly (to die for) and of Bill Cannon's collection.