Photo by Melody

Peonies: What peonies have you ordered for planting this fall?, 1 by DonnaMack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: What peonies have you ordered for planting this fall?

Forum: Peonies

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of What peonies have you ordered for planting this fall?
DonnaMack wrote:
Another good supplier is White Flower Farm. Their peonies, for me, have consistently appeared the year after planting, and they are excellent specimens. The only problem is that they send you the wrong peonies, and they do it repeatedly. I ordered three Festiva Maximas years ago (some may remember the incredible offer - 3 for $19.95) and was sent one FM, 1 Ann Cousins, and 1 Kansas - not what I wanted. When I pointed this out to them they offered to replace 1 Festiva Maxima, and they did - with Lady Alexandra Duff. Mind you, I love Lady Alexandra Duff, but I would never have ordered Ann Cousins (a very large flower that needs substantial staking, and it's just plain white) and I would never have ordered a Kansas (although I transplanted it here and it is really quite smashing). So my best peonies, early on, came from a company with a crummy reputation and a company that can't get the plant right but produces gorgeous ones.

Another point - the WFF peonies I transplanted - Kansas and Lady Alexandra Duff - actually improved after transplantation. And I had to rip their roots. They came back bigger and stronger than before. My Klehms (all gifts) and Adelmans all died. I was able to get the entire peonies of the Klehms because because they were newer. Moonstone, Lois, Coral Charm, White Frost, Tourangelle, Paul M. Wild, all gone, either in tha last year or because they never appeared.

Cem, I hear you on the legs, and it's a drag, but I went out this morning and photographed my Lee Valley legs next to conventional legs I got in garden centers. My Lee Valley ones are pretty clearly the 30 inchers - my peonies were very tall. Look at the thickness of these legs! Note that the other type bent when I was pushing it into the ground. I find that the smaller peonies either need no support or the smaller rings can handle it. But when you get the over the top peonies I love so much, Lee Valley is the ticket.