Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for novices and addicts September 2013, 3 by works4me

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright works4me

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and addicts September 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and addicts September 2013
works4me wrote:
Hi all,

Nev, the aechmea in my first pic is definitely Aztec Gold. It is probably in too much sun. I have another in less sun and the variegation is more obvious, I’ll post a pic. The aechmea in the second pic is different and does not have the same upright vase shape. It has the same colouring and variegation but is more open and strappy, I’ll post another pic of it too for comparison. I have added neo Buchaneer to your wish list.

Tash, I did try ‘stabbing’ a couple of neos but it didn’t have the outcome I had hoped for … in fact, it made very little difference, perhaps I did it too early … might try again. How could you do it to neo Serendipity Girl … if you happen to get lots and lots of pups and find you have a spare, perhaps we can work out a swap.

Perhaps your Ae Aztec Gold is like the one in my second pic with the long narrow leaves. I will let you know when I have pups of Vr Speckles x Milky Way. Hope you enjoyed your day at the market.

Sue, your mini orb wall looks very professional … great job. Your neo Pin Stripe is a gorgeous colour … mine is green with pink markings, neo Princess Di is lovely too.

Jean, great pics of all your lovely new broms.

Sue, thanks for the new post.

Nev, it’s hard to believe anyone would have the audacity to come into your yard and pinch a large brom … what mongrels. I think mine are pretty safe with our dogs in the yard, especially Molly the dobermann.

Trish, I saw the vrieseas The Dreamtime and a couple of others I would have liked too but we went to The Olive Branch on Saturday and I spent about twice what I had budgeted for and would have liked to get so many more. I will post pics later in the week. Love your pics, as usual, Trish what is the red centred one on the left in pic 2 of your post of 1 Sept please.

Ian, has your Ae Aztec Gold flowered yet. Mine was yellow and green up until it flushed when starting to flower. I will post a pic of when it first started to colour.

Pic 1 – Ae Aztec Gold, pic 2 – Ae Aztec Gold (different), pic 3 – Ae Aztec Gold (again), pic 4 – Ae Purple Heart (which I have now moved to a shadier spot), pic 5 – neo Downs Autumn

Bye, Shirley