Coneflowers: Aster Yellow's, 4 by juhur7

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright juhur7

In reply to: Aster Yellow's

Forum: Coneflowers

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of  Aster Yellow's
juhur7 wrote:
Carolyn22 ' it is what mine have , without any doubt . When I was reading where they pro's had been using Tetracyclene and such to treat infected plants (with aster yellow's) they said a reduced effect of the disease appeared in some plants .
As you you and I both know , a perennial plants only purpose is to survive ..(idea!!!) The plants become resistant to the disease?
IT (Aster Yellow's) is caused by a microbe ( bringing to mind a plant flu ) The way it effects the plant It seems to effect around the root crown into the older stems , on older plants , but not the root crown areas .. Younger plants and blooms , the bloom breaks or drops and the stems are hollow half way or so on the bloom stem .
Well I cut my plants to the ground , and today nearing on two weeks I have four new blooms on one plant and only one bloom stem showing the yellow's disease ..
I think with a spray program of anti -microbial the plants are developing resistance .
Mine are only purple so far with a few white swan started as seedling ,so cost isn't the thing of concern , only some bug taking out my blooms erk's me .. and I don't like giving up to not having anymore Coneflowers ..

The third#3 pic bloom still showing the disease The others as 1&2 same plant free of yellow's ..
4&5 From a severely infected plant beginning to return (also free of yellow's) I don't know what the half bloom is about ,