Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - August 2013, 3 by ianperry

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ianperry

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - August 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - August 2013
ianperry wrote:
Hi all, another 2 days gone already and I almost have all the deep watering done, just 1 section to go, then to fill a few pots where the mix has disappeared and do another scale and other problem check. What a mammoth job and I haven't even looked at the plants in the front garden as yet other than to water them. Then there is the seedling area, I sometimes wonder if I have bitten off more than I can chew. It will be worth it in the end.

Shirley, I like your Ae samauri and Mariae reginae as well. Both are nice looking plants.

Cody we definitely have had a mild winter, usually we get 2 weeks of sub 10C temps and this year I think we have only had 1 day of it. Here is a smile a wave and a hug, just to be different today. Your Guzzie is growing well.

Sue are you sure there is light at the end of the tunnel and not some ba///// with a torch bringing more work. It looks like a nice place to visit, that place of Alans I mean. It appears to be a nice relaxing area. I love the Ques mamorata in pic 5 in particular and the ones growing up the trees.
Jean, how long will it before you need another bush house. I have a feeling that it won't be long. It looks like a good area for it. I have a mesh top in mine and that doubles the area for plants, I can hang them in different levels and leave a path to walk through. If it is not straight it gives the illusion of having more plants. A drink for relief from a cold would be a Hot toddy. Mix lemon juice honey in Hot water and add a spirit (I preferred Rum) of your choice. If you drink enough of these you will not feel the effects of a cold.

Nev, Ae Gigantea has grown to about 2 ft high and pups quite well for me. I saw Sue's comments on it and all I can say is that the plant likes this location here. I took 2 pups off it in March and there are 6 more on it now. It has flowered and thrives on neglect. It sits on the front porch with Gold medal, cracker jack Orchid and a Vr Orange sundae. They get watered irregularly. It's flower was on a long stem, pendular I think and I cannot remember what colour. It was flowering when I bought it. I will have to look up my files to see if I can find it.
I took a pup of N Ralph Davis today and will give it special attention. I have put it straight into a 10" hanging basket and deep watered it then hung it up where it will get a lot of light and sun. I know that I recycle but broken glass would never be used for crocks maybe in concrete. I am going to experiment with a welding byproduct for mulch or pathways. I have no idea whether there could be chemical problems as yet so will start of with a plant that I don't really care about and go from there.
Dalfyre we get a Blue moon every time we have 2 New moons in a single calendar month, just saying.
Have a good one
Ian
Pic 1 Neo Blue nude
Pic 2 N Gold medal
Pic 3 N Goldilocks
Pic 4 N Grace pup just starting to colour
Pic 5 N Orchid