Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - August 2013, 2 by ianperry

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ianperry

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - August 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - August 2013
ianperry wrote:
Hi all, not much constructive done here today but I did get some watering done and a bit of mulch work. Weather wise I wish it would make up it's mind. It is supposed to be winter and I am still waiting for the cold, like temps in the single figures. We had frosts last year but nothing like it this year. I think a couple of days that I had to wear a coat was just about it. I am experimenting with plants out in the open this year and have to watch what is happening. I still have my plants in pots in the garden so that I can move or replace them easily' I can also re landscape an area if I decide to or if the sun is too much for them or it moves and they are getting more shade than they like.
Shirley, I bought Guz conifer this week. It appears to be a nice guzzie. I thing gabion baskets could make a nice wall or fence and maybe could have a few broms growing on the sides and top. A space saving decorative idea.They would also house lizards and spiders to get rid of some bugs, in a natural manner.
It is Horses birthday here today and I nearly forgot. Every horse has a birthday here in Australia and I don't know about other countries.
Nev Crypthansus like to be kept moist as they cannot store water and have to collect it from the soil. They also like to be kept warm and morning sun. Now I know why mine are not as happy as I would like for them to be. They are also heavy feeders.
Cody, We have had an extremely mild winter this year, I'm not looking forward to summer if winter is anything to go by. Here is a hug a smile and a wave for you.

Have a good one
Ian
Pic 1 Ae Chantini seed pods.
Pic 2 Ae Gigantea
Pic 3 Ae Little harve
Pic 4 Ananas Red star