Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeers #16, 2 by Amargia

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Amargia

In reply to: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeers #16

Forum: Accessible Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeers #16
Amargia wrote:
The peppers have been extremely productive this year. Tara has made pepper jelly and pepper flavored hummus so far and we still have peppers we need to do something with. Poppers for dinner and some salsa, perhaps.

The first summer pie pumpkin has ripened. I will plant more pumpkin to have around Halloween and Thanksgiving, but the summer pumpkins are always the best in this region. Late summer is bug and disease season. The pumpkins ripening now don't have to struggle through all the late season challenges.

Something here loves Loves Lies Bleeding amaranth. I haven't found the culprit, but it turned the leaves into lace work. Didn't touch the leaves of Golden Giant amaranth. After sampling the leaves of both, I'm with the bugs! LLB taste much better. GG amaranth is definitely a grain variety!

Jim has a competition going with a spider as to who can catch the most tomato horn worms. So far, the spider is 3 worms ahead. I have no doubt Jim will still make jokes about tearing down all the spider webs in the garden around Halloween so we can put up decorative faux spider webs for our Halloween party, but he has now seen for himself why we leave the spiders alone the latter part of the growing season. We wouldn't be harvesting much in the late summer or early fall if we didn't partner with the local arachnids.

Picture #1 Red Four o'clock
Picture #2 Pink resurrection lily
Picture #3 Pink Hollyhock