Photo by Melody

Florida Gardening: Miniature gardens, trees, and landscapes in Florida..., 2 by DavidofDeLand

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DavidofDeLand

In reply to: Miniature gardens, trees, and landscapes in Florida...

Forum: Florida Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Miniature gardens, trees, and landscapes in Florida...
DavidofDeLand wrote:
Lots of us have little things passed on to us by beloved friends, family, or just cool things we've collected over the years sitting on a shelf and only noticed again when its time to dust. Sometimes they are in a cabinet that doesn't need dusting but rarely seen.

These "Occupied Japan" and inexpensive for the era figurines are just that sort of thing,...
...and while a few years back were collectable and worth something the market has diminished.

My Aunt Maye and uncle Paul who both made it into their early 90's had these in their collection of stuff and they found there way to me.

I thought I would bring the old 'Colonial family' out into the Sun again and have them observing 'Ancient Ruins' in amazement. Look at the expressions some craftsperson from the era painted on those faces and it does create that feel...Ha!

At least they are being remembered and bringing back memories of two great folk.

Aunt Maye and Uncle Paul would approve I am sure.

Uncle Paul was a great gadgeter and thinker. He built his first Satellite dish from scratch, and was so proud to be able to bring in Chinese broadcasting even though it was grainy and none of us knew the language in the late 70's, and this was even before satellite dishes were in vogue way back then. Ha! He was a funny little man.

Aunt Maye who clearly was the collector of these figurines, was an absolutely gracious Southern Lady who hailed from Florence South Carolina, and whom was the tidiest and most loving unpretentious sort,... and I am sure her patience was slightly tested by, and likely thought Uncle Paul could be a little scattered with his inventions and tinkerings (which were many) on occasion I'm sure! Ha! What a duo till the end...

Yes I have rambled on, yet had to tell the story of the figurines...

Its fun to use the things we have and looking around our homes can be all we need when creating a living miniature garden centerpiece......or many!

Enjoy, and create one of your own!

David

This message was edited Jul 9, 2013 5:50 PM