Canadian Gardening: What's up in the garden?, 3 by poinget

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright poinget

In reply to: What's up in the garden?

Forum: Canadian Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of What's up in the garden?
poinget wrote:
Sonic Bloom is a repeat bloomer. It's hardy to zone 4 (-30 F). It reaches 4-5 ft tall and wide, and it flowers in spring and late summer to hard frost. (I have the tag) The leaves are bright green and the flowers are red. I think I had 'Red Prince' at my other house, which I loved, and I wanted one just like it, so I got Sonic Bloom because it was similar. At the time, the red flowering types were hard to find in nurseries. Pink and wine are very popular now.

And coraeensis is really neat, but not as hardy (z6). Todd Boland on PlantFiles said it is the parent for many hybrids. Its flowers change colour as they mature, so you end up with white, pink, and wine-red flowers in one cluster. Out of 9 pics, these two came out clear (or one did and the other not as blurry) - don't laugh. What is wrong with me?

Never can tell what the deer will eat. They were prepared to eat Sonic Bloom to the ground, but haven't touched coraeensis. The Nanas sound beautiful (and apparently, yummy!). I can't find pics of the yellow form.

As far as fuchsias, I haven't had success overwintering them, but I intend to try again with my patriotic Marinka. I'm more confident with plants these days. I had a black thumb until recently!

(If you noticed in a previous pic, there was a flag in my weigela pot as well. The kids have stuck those flags amidst all of my patio plants. lol)