Photo by Melody

Florida Gardening: Miniature gardens, trees, and landscapes in Florida..., 4 by DavidofDeLand

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DavidofDeLand

Subject: Miniature gardens, trees, and landscapes in Florida...

Forum: Florida Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Miniature gardens, trees, and landscapes in Florida...
DavidofDeLand wrote:
...While I realize that miniature gardens, Bonsai (miniature trees), and miniature landscapes may not be of interest to some, I have seen a few of you who have shown and interest in them, and I was hoping to see if any others in our state are. If not, I hope to inspire some of you to try one or two of your own!

For the aging who don't garden in big ways anymore, children who always love miniature gardens (and developing one with Grandma or Grandpa and are a great teaching tool), or for those with limited space, they can be a lot of gardening fun.

The themes are unlimited and everchanging and developing as in a full scale garden! One cool aspect of a mini is that the whole little worlds can be moved around and/or saved in a freeze easily.
Many of you have seen some of my other miniature gardens in pictures over the last few months I know.

I would like to start this thread with a brand new one just in development that I have started in a homemade hypertufa (cement, peatmoss and perlite) container that is only 16" x 20" and 6" deep. It has 3 planting areas with drainholes and one tiny pond built in. All the objects were created from found Items and such. The Sea Fly Fairies were made from cheap little clear plastic party Martini Olive picks for instance, that hang with their arms over the edge of the glass while they lounge in the vodka pool with an olive stuck on their tail! Ha!

I hope others find the developments in these miniature gardens fun and look in to see whats going on with them from time to time, and hopefully find them interesting enough to start creating one of their own to share! I love Sunkissed's (Sherri) Firepit miniature garden,... and I look forward to seeing pictures of it evolving too...

This one is kind of developing as an enchanted forest I think... It is planted with Bonefish Coleus acting as an old overgrown tree in the landscape, and a tiny Dwarf Firebush and Pittosporum grown from cuttings that will be trained as miniature trees (Bonsai) right in place over time...

I will be including my other diverse miniature gardens and Bonsai here too over time, and hope a few others with similar interests (or interested) join in!

Thank you,

David