Photo by Melody

Pacific Northwest Gardening: 6' x 6' raised bed salad garden box. (My hope), 1 by momlady

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright momlady

In reply to: 6' x 6' raised bed salad garden box. (My hope)

Forum: Pacific Northwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of 6' x 6' raised bed salad garden box.  (My hope)
momlady wrote:
Where did you get your seeds this year? Have you found a "far north" resource?

A company to try is West Coast Seeds. They are in Vancouver, BC. I'll bet they might have some good info, too, as well as seeds trialed for short season gardens. Here's their blurb, "our focus is on the Maritime Pacific Northwest region, and we have selected seeds that will do particularly well in this climate. The seeds that we sell have been tested for growing in our local environment of south coastal British Columbia." They are a great company. I think I'll order from them next year.

Does anybody know if Territorial Seeds promotes their seeds and veggies for someone so far north? I use their seeds a lot for the short growing season in Western Washington. Their catalog is very informative, too, so it'd be great if it would apply for MAG.

MAG, how is your tomato bed going to work? What is this raiseable thing you will have to cover the bed? I am going to have to give in and do some kind of cover for my tomatoes. It drives me crazy that they often don't have time to ripen. Cherry tomatoes work fine, but for some reason, my husband doesn't like them.

I tried a grafted tomato plant this year from Territorial. It has a hardy, tough rootstock and a grafted top that makes great and supposedly prolific tomatoes. I'll let you know how that works!