Peonies: Advice on a tree peony, 2 by LakeLivingRos

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright LakeLivingRos

In reply to: Advice on a tree peony

Forum: Peonies

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Advice on a tree peony
LakeLivingRos wrote:
Mine I got from the flower and garden show, and the Hu Hong is "own root" while the other 2 are grafted. I love the yellow of Tria! I can only imagine how nice the yellow is in person!

I am concerned about my one peony because the leaves used to be upright light the other two.. but have all the sudden gotten more "droopy" looking.. while the other two have leaves are still upright just like when they first sprouted and no wilting. Maybe because the droopy one is past the bloom time it was supposed to have??

Attached are some photos of the peony that made me fall in love with peonies! Two years ago when we first got our place, it was the first thing to really shine! The last image is what it looked like when we first moved in.. completely overgrown by a laurel.. (so was the rhododendron!). I had no idea a plant existed there (and later was able to pick it out in the laurel in pictures once I knew about it actually existing). Once I saw 1 bloom peaking out, the laurel was cut .. actually removed.. and for some reason just took off with crazy blooms this year! There is another peony with what looks like variegated leaves to the left of it, and has not bloomed (as I think it is being overshadowed). This last winter I thought I moved it, but found out I only moved half of the variageted one because two plants ended up sprouting! The one I moved, and it seemed like I had never touched the other one.. as it still came out looking the same as the year before.. I am going to try again to move that one so that it has enough room to finally shine as well.

I also got three peony herbaceous bulbs in a pack at costco, and made the mistake of planting them in a pot (at the time I didn't know very much about peonies and didn't realize this was no good). So I plan on moving them to the ground when the winter comes around to a spot where they can stay forever. I just can't believe the pink peony (as I have no idea what kind this is) survived such horrible care! The property was not lived in for 3+ years. I could tell at one time someone was a good gardener, as I unearthed a big raised bed with excellent soil under a safari of overgrown..

I am crossing my fingers my tree peony does ok though.. I am sort of freaking out that the droopy leaves are a really bad sign! When I got those I thought I had planted them in a really good spot that I could keep them there for the rest of time!