Peonies: Advice on a tree peony, 4 by LakeLivingRos

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright LakeLivingRos

Subject: Advice on a tree peony

Forum: Peonies

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Advice on a tree peony
LakeLivingRos wrote:
I planted 3 tree peonies this year (as I find them so beautiful) and I can't remember if this is the kinkaku souvenir de maxime cornu, the hu hong, or the shimanishiki, (as I forgot to write down the order).. but this one seems to be struggling (pic #1,2 & 3). All three are planted in the same bed, with adequate space on the south side of our property. The other two are (pic # 4 & 5) seeming to be doing excellent. I am sort of concerned that the one struggling is however not getting enough sun, because the neighbor has a denser section of fence and from what I have noticed he gets more shade.. I was thinking I should move the little guy (I just planted them this year in February), but am worried that this might kill him (as I read you do not want to move them after planting)? I know that if he were to grow a few inches taller the sun would hit more than half of him (it is so close!). He was at first doing great, and leaves were strong and healthy looking like the others, but recently the demise concerns me.. I also noticed that the soil seems to be retaining more water in this area as well, maybe that is the problem? Either way, I would appreciate your advice on what to do!!

Thanks