Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeers #16, 2 by Amargia

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Amargia

In reply to: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeers #16

Forum: Accessible Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeers #16
Amargia wrote:
Hi, Everyone! What's the news? It's Kay back from the unwired world. Well, it is now Melissa Kay, if you want to get technical about it. I started going by Kay because there was another Melissa in residence at the time. Now, I'm expected to respond to Melissa again because there are others around named Kay. I was complaining about always being the one who was asked to alter my name to avoid confusion. There was talk of resurrecting my childhood name of Sissy to keep things simple. I stopped complaining. No way, no how am I going back to responding to Sissy . I loathed being called Sissy even as a child. It is so-o-o stereotypically southern. As an adult, with strands of gray in my hair and wrinkles around the eyes, it would be absurd. Almost as bad as being a mature woman named Bambi

Summer has arrived in earnest. The gardenia are blooming. There are small fruit on the tomatoes and peppers. Corn is about thigh high. There are new daylily blooms to see every day. The gnats are horrible this year though. I work outside in headphones to keep the little beasties out of my ears. Listening to a book is just an added bonus. Old Creek lore claims that when gnats gather like this in almost Biblical plague concentrations, the coming hurricane season will be especially bad. The season is certainly starting early. The hurricane readiness jingle goes "June--Too soon. July--Stand by! Hurricane Andrea must not have heard that little ditty and is coming unfashionably early.

I'm missing Fenny-dog. She's been at the vet's office for several days. There was a cancerous growth in one of her paws. The vet said if he removed only the growth it would come back. They amputated one of her toes. I'm anxious to see if she will be happy to be home and have the pain in her paw gone or if she is upset over the loss of her toe. I pick her up this afternoon.

Photo #1: I hope the blooming of the lemon lily isn't a fluke of the cooler-than-usual weather. Some sources rate its heat tolerance only to Zone 7, but Debra (lovemyhouse) sent some for me to try. I would like a drift of them for fragrance impact. Fingers crossed.

Photo #2: We were given some 'Atkins' tomatoes at the April RU. They are performing beautifully! 'Atkins' looks like a keeper.