Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - May 2013, 4 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - May 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - May 2013
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi Ian and Shirley – It looks like the others have deserted us today. Not much of a day here, cold south west wind blowing again.

Ian – All I can tell you about your mini NOID is that it's definitely a Neo and could possibly be a species and I would start by looking through the pic's of Neo species on the FCBS Photo Index. If it's not there well then you have the long road ahead of checking through all of the hybrids, but then if it's a hybrid it may not even be registered, so good luck with the search.

Both of the next two pic's are nice looking plants that I'd love to have in my collection. The Bill is very nice and if you get a spare pup somewhere down the line and are interested in a swap, please let me know. The bi-generic is also a good looking plant. There are a lot of bi-generic crosses made but not very often do you get a plant of this calibre. The markings are very much like the banding you would expect on a Ae. Chantinii or Chantinii hybrid and I think it's a “beaut”; is it one of your own crosses?

I'm pleased to see you have a good germination rate on your Neo 'Small World' x 'Break of Day', I'm hopeful of some nice small/medium well shaped plants from this cross,but then they are hybrids after all so who knows what will turn up?

Shirley – I don't have any idea what your first Aechmea NOID is, but the second one does look to have quite a bit of Ae. Recurvata in it and probably the best place to start looking is on the BCR and search the Ae Recurvata hybrids at: http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/bcg/bcr/index.php?fields=Parents&id=...

That's it from me today and the pic's are Pic.1 Neo.'Happy Thoughts', Pic.2 Neo.'Mini-Con' (Meaning mini concentrica), Pic.3 Neo.'Mister Odean' Pic.4 Neo.'Mc Williamsii' and Pic.5 (It's not mine but I wish it was) It's a new hybrid as yet unregistered but is to be called Neo.'Hija Morado', I just love the unusual colour combination.

All the best, Nev.