Photo by Melody

Daylilies: How Is Your Weather Where You Are for the New Year pt.2, 1 by gen2026

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright gen2026

In reply to: How Is Your Weather Where You Are for the New Year pt.2

Forum: Daylilies

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of How Is Your Weather Where You Are for the New Year pt.2
gen2026 wrote:
Well, it was 86 and muggy here the past few days! I love the warmer temps but could sure do without the high humidity.... no hope for that here though! I have spent the past few afternoons cleaning on my big round bed again that keeps reverting to jungle - can't seem to KEEP it under control. The first pic shows about 1/4 of the bed clean - only about 9 hrs of work or so to get it like that!! Now I have to get down preen and mulch before it starts again! The second pic shows the other front quarter of the bed.............. it is devoured by vetch...yuck! But hopefully it will pull up much faster than the variety of weeds and grasses that plagued the other quarter. This quarter with all the vetch was freshly mulched last summer - so that should help.... yet to see..... but I never got to the other quarter so I paid the price. Been busy with other projects and have let the vetch get too far a head start on me - and the other weeds too so now I have to pay the price and TRY to reclaim it again! I HOPE this is the last time I have to reclaim this bed from the jungle or I may just give up and let it win. The good news is that I have finally almost completely eliminated the nut grass that used to take it over, and I am hopefully eliminating the bermuda , now if I could just control the weeds and vetch! I have a circle gravel drive around this bed and I am planning to spray the entire gravel drive with roundup to try to prevent any vegitation from spreading into the bed.

I have also already found some bermuda spreading UNDERNEATH my metal border on my foundation planting - I have tried to dig it up, but I am planning on spraying a small perimeter on my metal edging as well to try to keep the bermuda from spreading under. I am not sure if this will work - but not sure what else to try.

I am not sure if I told ya'll but I found TWO scrapes already on my DLs!!! I couldn't believe that I had scrapes so early, but it was a wonderful surprise!!