Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for the novice and addict. April 2013, 2 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: Bromeliads for the novice and addict. April 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for the novice and addict. April 2013
weed_woman wrote:
Hello all, I am now visiting with my Daughter, which is always quite amusing as her partner is a real character! At least there is no cleaning here for me, although my (tongue in cheek) son in law did show me where the duster is! Cheeky.
Shirley, I had forgotten the postage was going up, so when I do my next listing, it will have to go up to $9 to allow me enough to purchase a box. I just wish the buyers would buy multiple items so I didn't feel so bad about the postage. I know I would buy more than one if I could.
By the way, there is a xNeotanthus 'Firefoam' on Ebay, finishing today I think.
Good luck with gluing the broms on the wall. I'm sure you'll update us if it works? Also, I love your N. 'Pemiento' and look at that, it has pups! nudge, nudge, wink, wink.
N. 'Hula Girl' is looking nice. I have to say I have admired that on Ebay when I see it. Its nice to see one grown by someone other than the seller, because sometimes they photoshop them, and you never know if it will actually turn out the same as the gallery photo.
Bree, thanks for the info on Neo. 'Norman Bates'. I see them come up for sale from time to time and wonder if its worth having. I have an N. 'Skotaks Tiger' which seems to quench my thirst for the large tigery ones, and plenty of smaller tigery neos also, so I guess I can live without it.
Hasn't your Neo. 'Martin' got alot of colour? It goes to show that they don't have to be in so much shade as some keep them.
Jean, your Aechmea 'Bert' just looks like it has had alot of shade. They grow well on the sides of trees, and if you have a north facing tree trunk (one that doesn't shed its bark) you could tie it to there, especially in the next few months while the sun is weaker, as they can take almost full sun. That will give it a more squat, open shape, and a much lighter colour. Also, the A. orlandianas can be treated in the same way.
I think your lighter brighter shade house could be a good spot to colour up your Neos, and any other broms that have a bit of red in them. Also, some of the foliage Vrieseas get much better colour with more light. You might have to allow your broms a a bit more space for airflow if it is enclosed from the breeze, by not placing them so that their leaves are touching.
I THINK that Vrieseas would probably be more cold hardy than Neos, but I'm not 100% sure, because I am not familiar with your climate. You could probably try them in your shadehouse area, but put some other plants between them and the colder side for some protection. Also remember they don't like treated timber, so if you have any treated timber supports or beams, make sure you don't place them where any water will drip or splash from it, into the brom. A local vrieseas grower reckons that keeping the soil in your vriesea pots moist during the cool months, helps them to tolerate the cold, but I would be wary of keeping them too wet. Vrieseas are grown quite well in NZ, which seems to get fairly cool winters, so it might be worth a go, but maybe just try a couple this year, and not your most favourite or expensive ones?
Sorry to hear about your A. blanchettiana Jean. When I get home I will see if I have a reasonable size plant for posting. I know I have quite a few pups, but most are Waaaaaay too big to send.
Nev, I'm already missing you! I want to see what advice you would give Jean.
Anyway, photos for today are
photo one Is neo. 'Aurora' complete with webs. I have cut through the stolon to try and encourage more pups. nev is top of the list for this one.
Photo two is Neo. 'Pheasant', and again I cut rhough the stolon.
Photo three is Neo. 'Little Faith'
Photo four is Neo. 'Honolulu' hybrid (can't find info on this one, it came from leisa)
Photo five is Neo. 'Cougar'
Sue