Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for the novice and addict. April 2013, 3 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: Bromeliads for the novice and addict. April 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for the novice and addict. April 2013
splinter1804 wrote:
Good morning everyone, almost the end of another week and then back out in the garden at the weekend for some of you.

Sue – Your Mum must be quite an artist, I can't get over how realistic those dolls look even after a very close look they still look like real babies. Have her artistic genes been passed on to you as well, and if so, when are we going to see some of your work?

As for the writing of plant names, I understand the importance of doing it correctly, it's just that I always seem fall back into my old tech. drawing habits, and besides 90% of brom growers couldn't give a bugger anyway.

Thanks for the idea of the post tubes, I never thought about that. I have sent smaller plants in tubes before but not large ones and that will probably be the best option so I'll measure the height of the plant and see if they have a suitable tube at the P.O. Today.

I bought Neoregelia 'Brush Stroke' from an old bloke who was selling his collection about six years ago, he said he originally bought it and a lot of others from a nursery in Queensland but couldn't remember the name of it or the nursery. I have searched though the BCR the FCBS and a few other brom indices but have never been able to find it.

It's obviously unregistered like so many of the plants we buy these days but at certain stages of it's growth it looks very much like my Neo. 'Manoa Beauty' as well as one of the seedlings I grew from the cross of Neo. (Charm x Cracker Jack) x self but until it can be otherwise proved for sure, I'll keep the name I bought it with.

That name tag in Billbergia 'Dark Ladd' looks familiar, did you get your plant from Ross? I got one from there but it's very dark (almost black) but devoid of the attractive silver banding like yours. How much light are you giving yours? My plant's under 75% beige shade cloth so maybe it needs to be out from under the shade cloth, what do you think?

Shirley – You say you are going away for a few days, should I still send you a few seedlings on Monday 8th or wait until you get back?

I'm looking forward to the seeds from your Euodia tree which hopefully I can get to grow . I forgot to mention in my response to Sue, she had asked for some seed from my Pony Tail Palm, but unfortunately it didn't set a single seed, sorry Sue.

It seems like there are a few plants of Neoregelia 'Beef Steak' around which all look different. The one on the BCR doesn't look like yours or mine....... see: http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/bcg/bcr/index.php?genus=NEOREGELIA&i...
…..and mine doesn't look like yours either, (I'll see if I can find a pic.) so would the real Neo. 'Beef Steak' please stand up!

Although looking at the three plants, I must say I prefer yours the most both for shape and colour but your plant looks more like one I have called Neo.'Powder Puff'. (Pic1) This plant has been grown in very high light but the other one I have that was grown beneath shade cloth is closer to the colour of yours but unfortunately I don't have a pic for comparison.

That's it for to-day as I have lots of appointments so to finish Pic1 is Neo. 'Powder Puff' grown out in the open and just brought into the shade house to photograph. Pic 2 is Neo. 'Catlan's Leopard', Pic.3 is Neo. 'Champers', Pic.4 is a Neo. Concentrica x ('Charm' x 'Cracker Jack') seedling I bred and Pic.5 is another of my seedlings, Neo. 'Carchorodan' x 'Concentrica'.

All the best, Nev.