Florida Gardening: My first raised bed garden for vegtables, 4 by jamibad

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright jamibad

In reply to: My first raised bed garden for vegtables

Forum: Florida Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of My first raised bed garden for vegtables
jamibad wrote:
Thanks David for a quick and informative response ! Our soil was very dry and sandy looking here also. The front yard in barely green, and the back yard has good and bad spots. I don't know if I plan on doing anything this year to make the grass come back or putting down sod, a ;ot of money has been put into the gardens so far this year. Plus, after looking at your picture's, I love what you've done, the pathways, flowers and ground cover that are native to our soil here in Florida look a lot more natural, have very little need for water, and I think I'm going to do something similar to what you've done. That would be done in the front yard of course as it is a total desolate area similar to a desert with nothing but red ants living in the soil. We keep chasing them with red ant killer, but they just move to a new home! The back yard is going to get some more flowers, vines to climb the garden fences, and some tropical plants like banana trees, elephant ears, anything that is growing behind us in the woods. That's my husband specialty, he has a knack for making the landscape look like we're living in the keys somewhere. I really wish it was all done NOW, But I know in time it will look as wonderful as what you've done!

My birdbath, here's the story on that, short one of course, my DH picked it up along the street out of someone's trash, brought it home, and here are the before and after pictures! I have a good camera, so you can see some of the details in the dish , the base was painted because of the way it was, to many ridges and uneven design work for anything to stick to it, and be grouted. Paint was the better alternative. I'm unsure as to if I want to mosaic the pedestal of the birdbath, or leave it as is. It's to flashy as it is, and I think it would be to much for the eye all at once! Enjoy the picture's!!

BTW, can you tell me where to get these plants, I went to Lowes, and couldn't find a one of them, it was so busy, that I couldn't ask anyone where to look, and decided maybe I'd go to a nursery, and get better advice and service. OR, maybe from the internet somewhere! Beside's you and some others on here, I have seen some beautiful plants I want to use in my gardens. Here's my little list : amaranth, love,lies and bleeding, hot biscuts, tower red and golden purslane. (Not sure if I spelled all correctly)
One other question where does everyone buy there vegetable seeds around our area? I bought all my seeds through Lowes, most are burpee seed, but have since read something that it's better to buy from a certified seed seller! Is there a catalog or again, somewhere on line to get next year's seed, as I will use what I have this year, but never again. Thanks again! Jami

Hope your having a wonderful Easter today,
Sunrise Service was beautiful here, just 2 blocks from the beach, now going to put the ham in. Friends are coming today, all our children live in Tampa, New York and Pa. Pretty spread out, so we have our home grown family here! lol