California Gardening: Spring Round Up, 2013, 1 by Domehomedee

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Domehomedee

In reply to: Spring Round Up, 2013

Forum: California Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Spring Round Up, 2013
Domehomedee wrote:
You can put my name on a couple of those lantana, I was actually going to buy some the next time I spotted it at a nursery. It's perfect for the butterfly/bee garden as it blooms most of the year. The rock purslane sounds like a winner too, I always have room for low growies. Does the banana die back in winter if it freezes? I have a 1/2 barrel open for a big plant and a banana might be the ticket.

Canna indica is a smaller flowering canna usually. The red isn't too small but the red/yellow has a really cute little bloom, it's my fav and easy from seed.
Fortnight lily is Dietes iridioides. If you don't have it it's really a nice plant. Not too picky about water and a good regular Summer bloomer without any special needs.
The seeds are good and viable too, not too many self seed (I'm not an overwaterer) but they can be easily germinated with a little extra care.

Well, I've decided to offer the last two echium wildpretti (Tower of Jewels). I grew these from seed and they are in gallon pots now. I put 9 on them in my gardens but just feel kind of piggish not offering the last two. These are the best of the best when it comes to large blooming beauties and it's taken me three springs to get a batch of seeds to germinate.

Well, I'm tired, I've been weeding and planting all day as it was overcast and pleasant outside.

Canna Indica red/yellow aka Canna patens.