Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts, March 2013, 3 by works4me

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright works4me

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts, March 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts, March 2013
works4me wrote:
Hi everyone, we finally had a mostly sunny day today, just a few showers early this morning and more this evening from about 6:00 pm, but I finally had a chance to get outside … think I’ve been suffering from cabin fever, it was so good to get outdoors.

Nev, thanks so much for the info on xGuzvriesea. I checked out the BCR and I agree that it certainly is similar to the ones you mention. I know very little about the brom, it came from Bunnings with the usual generic label ‘bromeliad species’. I do wish they would be a little more specific with names or at least species. Like many of their plants, it is probably tissue cultured, hopefully that will mean lots and lots of pups … it already has a couple of small ones.

Nev, thanks also for providing the names I requested, they are very impressive plants, all of them. I especially love neo Mesmerize … I think I might have asked to be added to the list for a pup of that one before, if not, can you add my name to what is probably a long waiting list, thanks.

Bree, nice pics … that last one, Little Cutie, is certainly aptly named.

Sue, I hope the rain stays away for you and also that you don’t lose any more of your lovely broms. As for mowing, I think by the time we are able to get out and do it, the grass will be 2 foot long. It takes so long to catch up with the mowing/slashing when you fall so far behind.

Trish, I have my fingers crossed that cyclone Sandra stays well away from the coast and doesn’t cause any problems. It’s great that your broms are showing good colour as so many of mine have faded with it raining for so long.

Trish, we also used to have a neighbour who would burn all sorts of stuff and the smell often used to make me feel crook. Plastic, styrofoam, paint … everything went into a big open fire which they would light and walk away from, fortunately, it only ever got away once and came onto our property. We now have different neighbours and they are lovely and I am gradually turning them into brom addicts.

Sorry I didn’t get around to posting last night but we had a big day and a late dinner and I went to bed early with a headache … good as gold today though, thanks.

Trish, love neo Two Tone, so delicate looking. Your neos in pics 4 and 5 are absolutely stunning too, along with neos 1, 2 and 3. And Miss Lucy and Miss Lexi are very cute too.

Ian, nice pics … DG is playing games again with pic 3.

I will post pics of some spotty broms tonight – pic 1 is neo Hawaiian Sunset, pic 2 is neo Lemon Pepper, pic 3 is neo Spot On, pic 4 is neo Justins Song, which is getting quite large now.

Bye for now, Shirley