Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - February 2013, 4 by works4me

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright works4me

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - February 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - February 2013
works4me wrote:
Hi all, we went off to the local market this morning as planned but while it was sunny here when we left home, when we arrived at the market, about 10 km away, it was raining. There were very few stalls there but I managed to get three nice broms. Unfortunately two of the three were unnamed and the third, I believe, was incorrectly named. I will post pics and hopefully I can get positive IDs on them.

I potted up a couple of pups in the scoria this afternoon and placed them in a low Styrofoam box with coco peat on the bottom. Nev, I will let you know how they go.

Nev, you have some lovely bill seedlings there.

Jean, hope you get an ID on your brom. I know it doesn’t really matter but I like to have a name for mine if possible … mind you, not having an ID has never stopped me from buying a brom I fancied.

Bree, all three broms I bought at the market today are variegated, I am really attracted to them.

Hi to Ian and Kristi and anyone else looking in. Sue, Wendy and Jen, you have been missed, hope you will be back again soon. Trish, looking forward to hearing from you.

Anyway, back to the market broms …

Pic 1 is a large NOID brom, the seller assured me it’s a neo, if anyone can ID it for me that would be great. It was in a 5" pot when I photographed it, I have since repotted it.
Pic 2 was also unnamed but I’m 99% sure it’s neo Kahala Dawn.
Pic 3 was labelled as Roy’s Special. I already have a neo Roy’s Special but it is very different from this one. My other one is not albo marginated and those pictured on the BCR aren’t either. There is one named Roy’s Pink that is, so perhaps that’s it.
Pic 4 is my original neo Roy’s Special.

Well, it’s getting late so I’ll finish up and catch up again tomorrow.

Shirley