Lilies: Companion Plants Casa Blanca, 3 by DonnaMack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: Companion Plants Casa Blanca

Forum: Lilies

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Companion Plants Casa Blanca
DonnaMack wrote:
These are really interesting questions. I have pictures of nepeta snowflake (do note, this is historical, and my bloom is later than yours) in bloom in April and in bloom in September and early October. I have a picture of snowflake in bloom while Silk Road nearby is in heavy bud - it's on May 27. It's a really bad picture, but you can see the two clumps of Snowflake, one in the foreground, one in the rear. Horribly neglected, which is why there is some grass there. (pic 1.)

In the same neglected spot, here it is in mid-June reseeding (the white borage is self-sown, another really rocking plant, by the way). See the wonderful little clumps? You can just pick them up and move them whereever you like.

I have polemonium caeruleum in both sun and shade and it blooms in both and in my opinion it blooms better in more sun. I had mine on the northwest side of my property, where it got blazing afternoon sun, and it was stunning. I took some clumps to my new house and it is shyer to bloom in shade.

Pic three shows the site with afternoon hot sun. If you have the kind of plants that can take sun with moiture, like the epimedium, thalictrum and lady fern in this picture, you have a good spot. My epimedium thrived in sun, and it's thriving now in shade. I think that polemonium will bloom repeatedly if you deadhead it. And I love the fern effect. And I wanted it to seed and give me new plants - and by the way, it does that readily, and you can just pick them up and move them.

Pic four shows the morning sun. I positioned the ferns all the way against the building to keep them from getting too much of it.

Pic 5. But the polies got full sun because they were nmore forward. And this is 10:00 in the morning.

Pic 5 is a part of my garden that could get 90 degree heat. This is in June of last year. The polemonium is in very full bloom.

This message was edited Jan 17, 2013 7:59 AM

This message was edited Jan 17, 2013 8:01 AM