Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for novices and addicts - Jan 2013, 3 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and addicts - Jan 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and addicts - Jan 2013
weed_woman wrote:
Good morning everyone. Sorry I didn't get here yesterday. I had a big day mowing, pruning and a bit of housework. On days like that I haven't any energy left for even simple things, like turning on the computer!
Thanks for the compliments on the garden makeover. It was simple really, other than the weeding. It would have been nice to use a variety of Bromeliads, but the client is a non-gardener, and I like to see how they go, surviving on their own before adding anything nicer. There is scope for more improvements, as the yard is bordered with garden beds of agapanthus and white rocks (complete with weeds) I cleaned them up and reckon theres a couple of spots for some Aechmea blanchettianas there! Now to convince the client.
Trish, you made up for your short post with the last few! I love all the photos, and especially the front garden ones, as you know, that is my area of interest. It looks as though it is going along nicely. I especially like the golden canes with the broms planted around it.
Your 'Coral' flowers are Celosia, and they have what is called 'fasciation' which is a flatteneing out of some of the parts, be it stem or flowers, and it also usually results in more flowers or a wider stem. I see it a bit in Agapanthus, where the stem is wide and flat instead of round, and the flower heads are doubled. Anyway, the growers have somehow managed to use fasciation to their advantage by growing these lovely annuals for us. The other name for them is 'Cockscomb' as they somewhat resemble the wattle on a roosters head. I just bought a different Celosia again, with lovely purple spikes, that i will give to a friend.
Jen, I don't mind surprise visits, so catch me out if you can! heh heh. I imagine your place is tidy much of thetime too, and to get it looking as magic as it did last week, in 40 minutes, then it must have been pretty good to start with. It would have taken at least 10 minutes to hose out the patio area, which indicates to me that you were bored waiting for me! heh heh. I love that little Micro guzmania. I had seen photos of it, but to see it for real, it was so cute!
Shirley, I hope you have a nice time at the markets and find new treasure. I am going to isit the markets this morning too, as a friend is selling some of her broms, and also the car boot market is on, and I want to pick up some books. Being an avid reader, I'm always looking for more.
Right, lets see whats on the SD card today.
Photo one is Neo. 'Sunday best' in the afternoon light.
Photo two is N. 'Princess Di' in the afternoon light
Photo three is a NOID Aechmea. Jen, does this look like it might be A. 'Little Harv'?
Photo four is labelled Pitcairnia paniculata, but it doesn't look like the one on the bromeliad photo index.
Photo five is Aechmea fendlerii
Sue