Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012, 2 by ianperry

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ianperry

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012
ianperry wrote:
Hi all, I just had to plant up some more seeds again, this time to make room to play with my Quesnelia flower. i bought this plant flowering on 22-07-12 and have been watching for any sign of change in where i hoped seeds might be. Gently I have been peeling back the crepe like layers and viewing inside.. I think it was on Thursday that i saw the first seed pod plump and pink in colour. There were a lot of brown ones but they were empty. The pink one actually had seeds within. I just hope that they are ripe, too late now as I have cut the flower off. I have a few piccies of how to find the seed pods. I think the piccies will explain how to find them more than my words. I have no idea how to fertilise the flowers so that Mother makes the seeds form. That is something that I need to look into. I am still experimenting and if anyone tells me it can't be done, then I see it as a challenge.If there is a will there is a way (and a relative). It is now time to feed the inner man, Will be back later.
Pic 1 Quesnelia mature flower with seed pods hidden under crepe like covers.
Pic 2 Pink/red seed pods with covers taken off.