Dahlias: Better late than never, 4 by psudan

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright psudan

In reply to: Better late than never

Forum: Dahlias

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Better late than never
psudan wrote:
Marie, I mostly like the cactus type but love the bright colors of any dahlia. I've never seen an ugly dahlia. It's just a matter of personal preference, I suppose. My favorite this year was probably Bonaventure. These photos are from 2009-11. The first picture is a Witteman's Best. Hard to believe this many blooms on one plant and as you can see there are several buds not opened yet. I ordered this one from two companies the following year and each sent a small dark red dahlia which I think was Arabian Nights. I couldn't find it this year. The second picture is Firepot from last year. The white one is a late bloomer (late Oct. again this year) named Earl. It was over 10" wide but I won't waste space next year for a plant that only blooms a couple weeks. Sorry Earl, you will miss the cut next year. Last was one of my favorites from last year reputed to be Match. This spring the seller told me he was mistaken and believes it is actually Hayley Jane. I grow a lot of new ones each year and love the excitement of seeing one open that I haven't had before.