Dahlias: Better late than never, 4 by pirl

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pirl

In reply to: Better late than never

Forum: Dahlias

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Better late than never
pirl wrote:
So sorry to see the moose feasting on your plants, Mary. Deer and moose could all go to some deprived state and then we'd be happy.

Marie - gorgeous photos! Is that amaranthus in your first photo? I love it with the dahlias. I have some of the reddish purple ones, some salmon, along with some green ones but the deer also love the brand new growth so I have to spray constantly. I think the last one on your first post is Lady Darlene - I love that one.

This morning my husband said he no longer wants to do any vegetable gardening since the crows got more of the tomatoes than we did, the sun got the peas, the neighbors got 99% of the cucumbers and we only had one crop (one day) of green beans before the sun fried them. If that garden becomes mine, by default, it will be dahlias, cockscomb and amaranthus. The deer can't get it and I'd love an area all to myself!

The orange amaranthus is Hot Biscuits (seeds from Swallowtail).
The reddish purple are Velvet Curtains (also from Swallowtail seeds).
The third photo shows how the deer eat the new growth. I'd have to spray daily to keep them away from these (or any) new growth on plants.
I love this cockscomb!

Now I'll go out and get a photo of the green amaranthus.