Dahlias: Better late than never, 2 by pirl

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pirl

In reply to: Better late than never

Forum: Dahlias

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Better late than never
pirl wrote:
Dan - Just thinking of "Oh, I'll remember" chills me since I seldom do. Then I get annoyed with myself knowing I will not remember. Now I try to photograph what I've done so I'll have some reference for it. I missed that twice yesterday! The computer often saves the day. I have my "to do" list on Notepad, on my screensaver, so I see it many times a day and it serves to jog my brain.

The photo I posted was of a little pom pon (so hard to type that since I always thought it was pom pom) type, Kasasagi. I love that one! http://www.dahlias.com/kasasagi-item330.aspx The blooms are darker and prettier with a bit of shade but this one ended up in the sun...because I forgot to remember. I'll have to add that to the tag. Pictured below is how it looks in full sun, not a minute of shade. I prefer the darker version.

Marie - you really have lovely dahlias. Years ago, when Poochella reigned as Queen of the Dahlias here at DG, she used rebar as stakes, for the strength and permanence of them. I resisted for years, believing they were just too ugly, and looked for something better but I ended up using the rebar. They are in place permanently so now I just have to remember to tie them up each year. Everything goes along fine and then they seem to put on a growth spurt and I don't catch it in time so they end up lying on the ground.

The one I thought was Vancouver ends up being something I bought (nameless) from Home Depot. I do love it but still want to grow Vancouver again. I know I planted it in spring but I guess it failed to grow. Here's a photo (#2) of it.

Photo #3 is Long Island Lil, an old favorite. Please notice how it's lying down because I forgot to stake it. The plant doesn't grow in the area where I have the rebar stakes. I'd rather use a mound shaped piece of wire fencing for it than rebar.